They are targets for scammers, drug addicts who break into their homes, and rob them of their medications, their money, and many times attack them physically leaving them brutally harmed or even killed. In the nursing homes, the problem of neglect and abuse is there also, but unfortunately covered up many times. But, an attentive eye can see those who are victims of this abuse.
Signs of abuse:
1. Broken bones, blackened eyes, bruises on arms and legs.
2. Fear of speaking or being spoken to.
3. Flinching, drawing away when you try to touch them.
4. Malnutrition. Being noticeably underweight.
5. Avoiding answering questions.
Below are some helpful sites that will help identify more of the signs and resources to help in this area. To view these links, simply highlight and click the link.